Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Kale, Glorious Kale!

I am in the throws of Finals Week, annd have spent the last couple weeks grading, grading, grading.  I have also worked in the garden, but haven't really had the time or energy to write my post here.  But there is so much happening that I'll probably have several posts over the next week to make up.  :-)

April 26th -- look at all those cute little plants!










May 4th:  Look at that kale, and the cute little Tennis Ball lettuce next to it!  It's grown so much in the last week!


Here's a closer look at the Tennis Ball buttercrunch lettuce.

The Winter Marvel buttercrunch seedlings are also doing great, and I actually harvested  some of it today for my colleague Megan who has been missing fresh veggies.

I'm going to harvest more tomorrow because we're supposed to have serious thunderstorms this weekend, and I don't want to lose anything.












Plans for tomorrow and Friday include:

  • put up the rabbit fence  -- although I suspect I have to worry more about our two dogs, who like to partake of the veggie buffet.
  • finish the new bed for the tomatoes.  Assemble the poles/trellis/thingy for them.
  • build the new smaller bed for the raspberry and blackberry plants.
  • get the new beds topped off with compost/soil/etc.
  • plant the pole beans.
  • plant more lettuce.
Next week, I need to work on the daylily beds -- I have over 300 square feet of daylilies.  :-)  I'm going to use Kevin Lee Jacob's newspaper technique, substituting cardboard as I have a plentiful supply of that.  That means I'll be buying mulch, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment