Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring Is Coming!

It is FINALLY warming up enough that gardening and yard work is not far behind.  The snow has melted, and the rain storm we had Monday washed away the cold weather.  It also revealed all the dog .... remains...that I need to clean up once the ground dries out a bit.  Right now, it feels like I'm walking on a sponge every time I walk in the yard.

I was able to seed the ditch which runs along the County Blacktop.  The county road crew came in November, and dredged out our ditch.  Too late in the season to seed it then.  I decided to seed it in white Dutch clover rather than grass because the sides of it are now a bit steep for mowing regularly.  I also seeded some areas of the side yard that see a lot of foot traffic and the clover will hold up better to that.

I also moved a batch of seedlings out to the cold frame.  I put out the cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and some winter buttercrunch lettuce to harden them off.




I'm hoping to be able to plant them in the raised bed next Monday or Tuesday.

Still inside are bell peppers, hot peppers, some flowers, and tomatoes.

I brought in a tray of various flower seeds that had been  chilling out in the cold frame.  They are now sitting on the warming tray so I'm hoping they will sprout soon. I'm also hoping that by next week I'll start to see some signs that the seeds I sowed in jugs in January are sprouting. I have galliarda, several different kinds of sunflowers, African daisies, columbine, flax, and I don't know what all else.  :-)

I hope I'll more to report next week.  It's Spring Break, and the weather is supposed to be gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment