Thursday, February 12, 2015

Garden Cover Salvage Job

Those strong winds last night came in with a cold front.  High of 19 degrees this afternoon, which means everything is frozen solid again.  But I was able to come home a bit early this afternoon, and the sun was shining, so I bundled up and went out to salvage the garden cover and change out the hoops.

Each of the tall hoops was comprised of two smaller segments with connectors.  I pulled out the segment that was the more mangled and bent from the wind, stashed the connectors in a container, and installed the remaining segment as a low hoop.  The hoops are pretty low because the bed is 4 feet across.



I suppose I could also change this up in the future, and do two hoops in sequence, each covering two feet of the bed, if I need a bit more height.  Something like this:

]   ]   ]   ]   ]
]   ]   ]   ]   ]

To make my life easier, I took the two sections of heavy garden fabric inside, and used my sewing machine to seam them together.  It was much easier to drape the fabric over the lower-height hoops (duh), and I used the binder clips again to hold them on the hoops.



I had enough fabric to go part-way up the cucumber trellis, so I should be able to protect the young cuke plants through the vulnerable period fairly easily, once I plant them [which will not be for at least another week or two, I suspect.  I also have a huge swath of lighter weight protective fabric, once I don't need the warmth of the heavier fabric.

I should also note that the cucumber trellis was solid as a rock, and didn't even budge in the high winds.  It is actually attached to the end board on the frame, and the supports are sunk over a foot into the ground.  Once the ground warms up and is wetter and looser, I may need to add some additional supports, but I'm hoping not.

I also removed all the water tube cloches, which are frozen solid again (they are MUCH easier to move when then are frozen, by the way).  Last week, in a fit of optimism and in the spirit of experimentation, I actually planted one of the cauliflower seedlings (1 small true leaf), just to see what would happen.  I hadn't really looked at the forecast for the week, but....

It APPEARS the seedling survived, and after I removed the frozen water tube cloche, I got some hot water and warmed up the soil around it enough to install a plastic bottle cloche instead.



This weekend, I'm headed down to my parents' home in Southern Illinois.  They are far enough south they are usually 2-3 weeks ahead of us in spring, and 2-3 weeks later in the fall/winter.  My dad's birthday was yesterday, and I bought him an elevated raised bed on caster wheels so they can grow some lettuce and whatever else they want.  Dad has a MASSIVE fern bed, but at 78 and with back problems, it's getting harder for him to get down on his knees to work the soil.  Dad worked all though high school and college at a greenhouse, and I know he loves gardening.  I'm hoping this makes it a bit easier for him.  I'm taking a variety of seeds with me, some low hoops, some garden fabric, and anything else I can think of.  I want to put a trellis in it too so they can have cucumbers.  I'll try to remember to take pictures.

Speaking of cucumbers, one of our favorite varieties is Brown Russian . A Ukranian heirloom variety, It has been one of the most reliable varieties for us, with a high germination rate and bumper crops.  The flavor is fantastic, and it is one of the few varieties that doesn't make me burp.  I have seeds from the 2012 growing season, and I accidentally left them in the garage over the winter.  I found the seed packet, brought it inside, and thought, what the heck!  I'll try starting some in the germinator.  Within 4 days, the seeds had germinated, producing strong and hearty seedlings.  So if like cucumbers, check out Brown Russian.  The only place I've ever seen it is on The Cook's Garden website, a place I've ordered a number of things from, and always been satisfied.

That's all for now!



No comments:

Post a Comment